11 August, 2008

El-Fanoos

El-Fanoos is many things. Literally, it means lantern in Arabic. Most are made from tin or copper and hold candles to illuminate the world around them.

Traditionally it represents the coming of Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting. Children carry them through the streets to welcome the holy month. Metal-workers spend months preparing Fawanees (pl. of Fanoos) to supply the inevitable demand.

Historically it has been used to bring light to dark streets. El-Sahwawi (lit. "the waker") used el-fanoos to light his way as he traveled from house to house, calling his brethren to greet God and the world. Muslim caliphs ordered local shaykhs, or religious leaders, to light Fawanees in the streets during Ramadan. Children were also ordered to follow women out at night with a fanoos to provide protection.

El-Fanoos then is a powerful symbol--one of celebration, enlightenment, and protection. In an attempt to see the world around me more clearly, I have begun to write down my thoughts and give life to my photographs. My intention here is to receive enlightenment through analysis and share my views with those closest to me, as well as the world. My hope is that El-Fanoos will burn brightly and illuminate my life for all to see.

I dedicate this blog to my grandparents, whose wisdom and encouragement led me to the Middle East. To my mother and father, whose love and support have carried me to the stars. And to all my friends and family who have added light to my life.

Now, to start things off I've decided to publish a travel article that I wrote about a recent trip to the Northwestern US. All the photographs you will see are by me, unless otherwise stated. I also welcome any feedback, comments, or thoughts that you may have. More pictures can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/fhc4life. Enjoy.

No comments: